Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Where were you?

Since today is the anniversary of a major tragedy, I wanted to take the time to write down where I was that day, as well as a few others. There are just certain events that happen and you remember exactly what you were doing. I would love to hear from any of you on where you were during any of these tragic events.

January 28th, 1986-Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion.
I was in the third grade at Frontier Elementary School. My teacher was Mrs. Troy. We were all in the Library watching it on TV. It was such an exciting thing! I remember when it blew, the teachers didn't really know what to do. They stared in horror and then scrambled trying to shield our eyes. I just watched this video. So much excitement in the crowd and then pure horror!





Oklahoma City bombing-April 19th, 1995.
I was a Senior at Meridian Academy. My Economics class had just begun and teacher Bob heard it on his radio so he went and got a tellie for us to watch the coverage. I remember being so sick about all the children that died. This video is awesome!







April 20, 1999-Columbine High School Massacre: . I lived with my roommate Cody. I had just quit my job at Madison's and was taking a month break before I started working at HP. I remember her and I sitting in the our living room on the 8 foot lime green sofa we scored at Savers! We just stared at the tellie in shock, wondering what had happened to make those two boys do something so terrible. We were also thanking our lucky stars that we were done with high school and didn't have to deal with going back with so much fear. This video is very well put together and gut wrenching!

September 11th, 2001-Terrorist Attacks
I worked for Big Sky Catering Company. I drove a roach coach. I didn't have a radio so I spent lots of time meditating each day. (actually I spent tons of time on the phone with my mother-in-law going over my minutes! :)) I had been doing this job for over 2 years so I had become well acquainted with the men that I served each day. I was constantly teased and harassed in a loving manner. :) No big surprise then that when I arrived at one of my stops and I was being told by the guys that a plane had flown into one of the Twin Towers I didn't believe them. I told them that wasn't funny and to get back to work. I was only at each stop for about three minutes so I was quickly on my way. I finally started believing that perhaps they weren't joking when I got to the next stop and was told a second plane had hit. Obviously there was no way the men at these two stops, that didn't know each other, could have planned a prank like that to mess with me. I was sort of dazed. I called my dad just to make sure it was real. It was. I finished work as quickly as I could. When I got home I glued myself in front of the tellie with the rest of the world and watched in dismay. I couldn't even believe what I was hearing and watching! This is an excellent video.

My heart goes out to all those who lost someone in any of these events and hope you have found peace!

2 comments:

sara :) said...

Angee--

I thought this was a really great post. I had been reflecting on the 9/11 tragedy but didn't even think about some of the other horrible things that have happened in our lifetime.

Challenger: I was in 4th grade in Mrs. Heinrich's class. We had just come in from recess and she told us about what happened. She was really upset. I don't think I quite grasped the enormity of the event at the time. The video you linked was amazing. I have never seen the reactions of the people and it was very powerful.

Oklahoma City: I was at Idaho State and was walking through the lobby of the dorm just coming back from lunch or something and the news was on. It made me sick. I didn't check out the video that you linked because I had already watched the 9/11 and Challenger ones and was feeling depressed enough.

Columbine: I can't say I remember where I was when I heard about it. I just know that it made me sick. Enough said.

9/11: We were living in Oregon. Darin had just gotten home from his night shift-it was around 6:30 or 7 in the morning. He got into bed and said someone had ran a plane into the World Trade Center. At that point he didn't know anything else and was exhausted from work. I just thought maybe some idiot had not been paying attention and it was an accident. When I finally got up and turned on the tv, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I was sick to my stomach for the rest of the day and very uneasy for the rest of the week. In our town it seemed like everything had come to a halt. After the kids went down for a nap and Darin got up I went to the fabric store and got some stuff to make a flag bunting for the front of our house. It stayed up there until we moved the following year. The video you linked was almost too much for me to take. Especially with the audio of the emergency calls.

Thanks for the opportunity to pause and reflect. These events should not be forgotten.

Sandee said...

Challenger-I was in the 4th grade and was home sick with the flu. Prices Right just ended and I was watching it on TV.

Oklahoma City-I was getting ready for work and I was listening to the news when they came on and said the Federal Building had been bombed.

Columbine-I was at work, and someone watching the TV during the lunch and they told us what happened.

9/11-I had just dropped my kids off at daycare and my daycare lady was watching the 1st plane crash into the 1st tower. I just sat watching not believing what had happened. I went to work and on my way there I called Gregg and told him what had happened. Then I called my dad and he was just getting out bed and hadn't heard about yet. When I got to work we all just sat and listened and watched the 2nd plane crash. It was a very sad day for me. Every 9-11 I just think about how this could of happened and every time I see images from that day, I tear up. Our country will never be the same again!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out