Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Family Reunion #3

Friday morning we were up at the ass crack of dawn. I haven't seen 6:30 am in...well I'm not sure how many years! KG was kind enough to be awake and even kinder to wake us up! Nice guy! He and I had gotten everything packed and in the car the night before, other then what we'd planned to wear that day. We loaded Flower in, made a stop by the parents hotel room to use their bathroom and were on our merry way. We stopped at a cute little town called Panguitch for breakfast.
While we were waiting for our food, Flower insisted on trading shades. I must say, we look pretty cute in each others glasses! It's sad that my glasses fit her and her sunglasses fit me!

After our tummies were full, we were on the road for Glen's Ferry, a nine hour drive. Flower did awesome! I am so proud of her and the fact that she can be a chill little traveler with us! Seriously, the girl rocks! She and I both fell asleep for a couple of hours as soon as we got in the car. Then she woke up and didn't even make a peep. I turned around to see if she was still sleeping and as soon as we made eye contact she gave a chipper, "hi!". She had been awake for a bit! We didn't even take toys for her. We took four books, all of which she hasn't looked at or had read to her yet. That way they'd be new and fun. We only stopped once in 8 1/2 hours and that was because KG was getting drowsy so we traded spots and I drove while he slept. I was devouring a really good book my mom gave me for the trip. When he woke up he read a couple of chapters to me. I love it when he reads to me! :)
We arrived without incident at 3:30 pm, ahead of schedule, in Glen's Ferry. I really love that city, even more so after the drive through town to our camp site. I could see myself living there. Soon we were at the campsite of the Madison reunion.
The guest of honor: Grandma Madison.
This reunion is for my dad's side of the family from his mom, on down, which includes him and his three siblings, all their kids and all their grandkids.
As soon as we got our tent up and got settled, I had requests from my two older nieces and a cousin to paint their nails. After a bit we looked over to find Flower taking shelter from the heat in their dogs kennel!

She was having way to much fun in there!
Soon enough everyone was arriving and it was time to eat. Let the fun begin! :)

All the kids got along great together and played on the lawn. It was so fun to watch the kids of all our cousins that we had so much fun with when we were young, now getting along!

After some mingling we played Family Feud. I believe my Aunt Kris' family won. All I know for sure is that we lost miserably in the first round and I didn't pay close attention after that. Rather, I enjoyed watching the kids! There was activity late into the night. Once the kids were all down for the night, KG and I snagged Brian and Keri to play a game of Treasure Island. We miss the time we used to spend with them and were happy for any chance we got to hang out!

Saturday KG and I woke up thrilled to see that Flower was still in her sleeping bag! Each time we've taken her camping so far, she wakes up around 2:30 am each night crying. Once we put her in our sleeping bags she goes right back to sleep. This is a big milestone! Yay for progress! Most of us spent the day being lazy and trying to move as little as possible in an attempt to stay cool. It was a blistering 107*!
Both my nieces wanted me to do their hair. I did things to both that I've never done before. I think they turned out pretty darn cute! Of course the fact that they are both gorgeous certainly helps! I did two fish-tail braids in my older nieces hair and a wrap around french braid on her younger sister.

There was some really fun activities for the kids including making their own homemade ice cream in plastic baggies and decorating bandannas which they also had family members sign.

After we ate lunch my niece was partaking in dessert. She was eating one of those cupcakes with the nasty, greasy, lard frosting. We had a conversation about not liking it. My sister, who also doesn't like the frosting, walked over and, when they thought I wasn't paying attention, it to my niece and suggested she smear me with it. She always has someone else do her dirty work! ;) Well, I beat her to it and grabbed what was on her plate and that's when the frosting fight began.




I think it's obvious who won this battle. As we were on our way to clean up we decided to put frosting on our lips and give my mom a kiss on each cheek. Mom was squirming, afraid we'd get it on her clothes, and then decided to let loose and grab a handful herself! Unfortunately there are no photos for that one but I will say I didn't come out as well the second time! Let me tell you, that lard frosting is a total pain in the ass to get off everything! We just had to succumb to the fact that we were going to be grease monkeys until we could get showered using some strong soap!
After lunch a sprinkler was set up so that everyone could cool down. Although everyone was having fun, my cousin had the great idea of a slip 'n slide. I put KG to work executing it! The kids had a blast! It was also great entertainment for those of us watching! It was a big hit!

The following slideshow is especially for my cousin Keri! :)


This frog seemed to following my little cousin around the whole weekend!


My nephew ended up staying the night with us that night. Everyone that stayed Saturday had to be out of their spots by noon on Sunday. We all said our good-byes and were on our way home. KG and I weaved our way through the neighborhoods searching for land and homes for sale so we could get an idea of what they sell for.
We really had a great time and I can hardly wait for the next one!
The entire vacation was awesome for us and it was nice to have a full week to spend together as a family!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i laughed out loud when i saw flower in the dog kennel! How cute is your family?! Isn't Utah great?
thanks for the words of support.

sara :) said...

I didn't think you could pack anymore in your vacation but I was totally wrong-another family reunion! Love the pictures. :)

Kami said...

Cute pics!! And yes..our family won! :)

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out