Monday, October 6, 2008

Garden Valley love.

First I want to clarify that I'm not in a bad mood today. A few of you thought I was based on my previous post but I'm really not. But thank you for caring! I'm actually in a good mood. I've been somewhat productive today. Flower hasn't required me to have any patience. :) Meaning we've had fun and she's been very chill therefore so have I! And we didn't have the TV on at all! :) So anyway...long story short, I am in a good mood.
This weekend was so great. Flower and I were at home Friday night minding our own business playing with the piano. I got a call from Kristen asking us if we wanted to join her in Garden Valley at her cabin! Some co-workers went up with her but their daughter got sick and they went home. I got the call at 9:30 and packed my bag, waiting to hear from KG to see if he had any objections. Of course he didn't and we got to his work about 10:30 to trade the bus for the jeep. We made it to Kristen's about 11:45 pm. I was so excited! We chatted until about 2:00 am and then crashed.
I haven't been to her cabin in years! I have so many fun and awkward memories from going there as a kid. :) This past year they had a pipe leak for several months without anyone being aware as no one had been there. When it was discovered, it was a total loss. Everything was ruined. The down side...that was all they really had left as memories of her dad! So sad and from what I understand, it was pretty emotional for all of them. On the plus side...they have a brand new absolutely beautiful cabin paid for by the insurance. :) It was just completed in September. It was luxury.
Flower and I had our own room and each had our own bed. The mattress and bedding on each bed totaled at least $2000. So soft and yummy. We were also the first to sleep in these beds!
Each room is outfitted with a flat screen TV with satellite. I like all the wood doors and wood throughout too. It's a gorgeous color.
We had a beautiful bathroom in which I loved the tiles. I also loved the turquoise towels. That is a favorite color of mine as of late as is evidenced by my living room wall.
We spent most of our time with the windows open, to enjoy the fresh air, wrapped in blankets in front of the fire place and watching movies on the big screen. I didn't get a photo of the kitchen but it has to be the best one I've seen in a while. I love the tiles!
We didn't wake till almost 11 on Saturday morning. :) Kristen fed us well too.
It was so beautiful all weekend. It was overcast and drizzled rain for most of it. The autumn colors were out in full glory and I couldn't get enough of it!




I LOVE Garden Valley. My grandparents had a cabin in Terrace Lakes for as long as I can remember. My grandma sold it a couple of years ago. It was a sad day. I was so excited to go check it out and see if it was being properly taken care of. We went for a ride. Imagine my surprise to drive and see it being gutted! I had to get out and see if I was able to catch a glimpse in the windows.
I have always loved the gingerbread-esque feeling of it.
I was delighted to discover the golf cart still underneath! I hadn't realized that it was sold with the cabin. Wow...some good and dangerous times were had on that golf cart. I'm truly surprised it's still in one piece and that we're all alive. Kristen was part of some of those memories so it was fun to share the stories. And getting parked back under there each time was no easy task! We'd either hit that light hanging next to it or hit the door frame coming in. Good times.
And my next surprise...my grandparents golf clubs and the grill! I also love the design and lines of the old deck chairs you see hanging up. If I'd had a bigger car and a place to use them I would have taken them. They are so sturdy and really could be awesome with a face lift, like painting each seat and back a different color. Oh the possibilities that will only take place in my mind.
I loved my grandma's turquoise golf bag. :) And there were many a BBQ's on that mean green grill.
They always had the best view. The cabin sat above the second hole of the golf course.
I was elated to walk up the balcony stairs to see that everything that was once inside was out on the deck! I wasn't able to attend the 'last gathering' that was held to move things out. I had no idea they pretty much sold it as is. The stuff was covered in a tarp and it was so fun to peak through it and reminisce.
This light hung over the dining room table and was always a favorite of mine. I really should have nabbed it for the apartment.
The cabin was apparently bought by an investment company so I had no problem looting and taking some keepsakes.
I scored the silverware with the flowers I loved so much. And the olive green tray...need I say more?

My grandpa used to tease us saying that he would paddle us with that paddle. It hung in the kitchen as a reminder that we better behave. I think the strawberries and daisies are so sweet. I snapped it up as soon as I saw it.
I can remember my grandma rolling cookie dough with the yellow rolling pin. And the red ends? Well, I just couldn't pass it up.
Check out the quilt! I am such a quilt and blanket gal. I remember many a night cozying up in that blanket.
Can you see the embroidered turquoise tulips in the that panel? So cute.
And then I about died and went to heaven when I discovered the new sliding glass door that had been put in was unlocked! We got to go inside and see what was being done.
They kept the original cabinets, they are just painting them white. Everything in the cabin used to be dark wood and the front of the cabinet doors were dressed in 70's floral tact paper. They were my favorite. No surprise there.
The fire place is now white. It used to be black. The conch shell that we blown upon arrival every time we went there used to sit on the mantle. I'm not sure which family member ended up the lucky recipient when the cabin was sold but it was a prized possession among all the grandkids.
I was sad to see the upstairs creepy bathroom was not so creepy anymore. That mini tub used to be mustard yellow, I believe, with yellow surround. The wood panel you see in the tub is what the entire cabin looked like before. There is a small door that we would dare each other to open because it always seemed so scary since it was dark in there with lots of spider webs. :)
This was the shag carpet that adorned the entire cabin, only each room was a different 70's appropriate color. I miss the sound of diapers as you stepped. Or better yet, the sound of someone following you has you went up the stairs. We had so much fun creeping ourselves out.
Wow I miss that place. These finds and being able to go inside again made my heart so happy and who doesn't love that?
We drove around a bit more and discovered this little masterpiece. I quite like it.
Then we went swimming in the pools by Kris' cabin. My camera died right after I took the photo of Cameron and I left the other battery at the cabin.
After a swim in the hot pools we got dressed and took some pictures of the outside of Kris' cabin.
Cameron was so good with Flower and she had a ball! They pretty much entertained themselves the whole time allowing Kristen and I to wallow in laziness! Cam has always been an easy kid to be around.
They haven't been around each other in a year and a half but they warmed right up to one another.
He has recently learned how to make balloon animals. He shared some of them with Flower.
We headed to the Terrace Lakes Lodge to eat dinner. Kristen treated us which was so sweet! I spent many hours in that huge pool when I was young.
The flowers in front of the clubhouse were beautiful.


I dig the inside of this flower! It looks woven. And then the little water droplets on the one upper peddle made me smile. I love nature.
When I drove in to Terrace Lakes the night before and rounded the corner to see the white picket fence my heart sang. It was an instant breath of fresh air and a flood of memories.

On Saturday Kris and I watched 2 movies and some tv. We fell asleep late into the night watching a third. We talked and laughed and I thoroughly enjoyed it. She gave Flower some M&M's and Flower happily exclaimed, "This is like my other M&M's Kris! Now I have two M&M's Kris!"
Sunday was much of the same lazy relaxation. We slept in till 10:00. We read and watched movies and tv. I was so enjoying how entertained Flower was that she didn't need to say "mom" 50 million times in 5 minutes. Kristen had a fun game that plugged into the tv upstairs that Flower would draw on and it showed up on the tv screen. She loved it. She really liked following Cam around.
We loved every minute of being there and are so grateful to Kristen for inviting us!!!
Flower and I left Sunday afternoon about 4:30. I just had to stop in Crouch and get some photos. This town also has so many fun memories for me. When we stayed at my grandparents cabin we always had to make a Crouch Merc run for goodies.

On the way home I stopped in various spots along the way that have meaning to me and took photos.







I think the little burst of bright yellow amongst the green is just beautiful.
Lovely, lovely weekend!

2 comments:

La belle mère said...

Wow... I have tears streaming down my face. Seriously -- total mess.

I miss that cabin so much. If we had ANY idea we would be moving to Utah, we would have bought it in a heartbeat. We actually briefly considered it even from Chicago.

I didn't get any mementos. Would you save me a spoon or something?

John and Danielle said...

AMAZING that you were able to get all that stuff...we also grew up with a cabin in Terrace and I miss it dearly! I would give anything to be able to go through ours...I think someone lives in it now so they probably wouldn't appreciate it very much!!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out