Monday, March 30, 2009

A night with me...in detail...because I know that's what you want. :P

Sunday I talked about trying some new recipes and hoped sunday's recipe would be the winner of the week. Well it was. Therefore I've included it here. I used Italian sausage flavored(by mistake) ground turkey but it turned out great! It added a little spice to it. I also used red potatoes that I mashed myself. this recipe was found on cookinglight.com That's where I've been getting all my recipes lately. We will make these again.

Turkey Pies with Mashed Potato-Asiago Topping

(These were really like a pot pie filling/shephards pie mix)

  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons butter
  • 2/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
  • 1/3 cup minced shallots (about 3)
  • 3/4 cup frozen petite green peas
  • 2 tablespoons dry white wine
  • 3 cups diced cooked turkey
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
  • 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 3 cups refrigerated mashed potatoes (such as Simply Potatoes)
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated Asiago cheese
  • Cooking spray

Preparation

Preheat oven to 400°.
Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and shallots; cook for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add peas and wine, and cook 2 minutes. Add turkey, parsley, and sage. Combine broth and flour in a small bowl, and stir well with a whisk. Add broth mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in salt and 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
Combine the remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, mashed potatoes, and cheese in a small bowl. Spoon turkey mixture evenly into each of 6 (8-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Top each evenly with the potato mixture. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand for 8 minutes before serving.

Nutritional Information

Calories:283 (27% from fat)
Fat:8.5g (sat 3.3g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.9g)
Protein:27g
Carbohydrate:23.6g
Fiber:3g
Cholesterol:81mg
Iron:2.3mg
Sodium:794mg
Calcium: 139mg
I have three new recipes to try this week. This time from different sites. I want to try two or three new recipes a week. I like to cook and it's more fun when I keep it interesting. If I find one worthy of sharing, I will.

Right now it's 7:00 and KG's geeking at John's. The girls and I are at home jamming out to music as Flower requests it such as Poke Her Face(Pokerface), Just Dance, Single Ladies, Womanizer, Piece of Meat(Piece of Me), The Gun song(Paper Planes) and Disturbia. Flower is also dancing and River is singing along with us and mesmerized by Flower's moves. It's very cute.

I have three people that I need to take cookies to so this morning I tried out a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. It's gotten raves reviews on the interweb so I reluctantly decided to give it a try. I say reluctantly because I love my recipe which I adapted from the Tollhouse recipe. I've made the same recipe since high school and love it. I get tons of compliments every time I make it. But I decided to venture out because what if there was a better one? Well this one isn't it. It's so blah. It was good but nothing to write home about...or should I say post on my blog. :) I should have known when it called for unsalted butter. There was just no flavor for me and I even added a teaspoon of salt after I tasted the dough but it didn't make much difference. I guess the positive thing is that I barely ate any dough and have only had three cookies, and that was only because I kept hoping I'd like them. Dumb. I'm just so picky with my chocolate chip cookies. It was fun to try and although I've had my eye on another one from a friends blog, I just looked at it again and it's basically the same recipe so never mind. I'll stick to the tried and true! I'm going to make mine tomorrow and taste test mine against these others to all three people that I'm taking them too, but they won't know which one is mine. I'll see which one they like and get back to you.

Now it's 8:20 and both the girls are in bed. An hour earlier then usual but I need the time. I'm sure I'll regret it. I plan to clean the place up. It was spotless last Tuesday after our trip but has been in a state of disarray since we changed their room around. I'll surprise KG with a clean house when he walks through the door tonight. Or more likely sometime in the wee hours of the morning since he's geeking with the boys.
8:29...Damn, River's screaming, therefore Flower's not happy. Crying gets on my nerves so I do feel bad for her. I'm sure it won't be the first visit into their room.
8:40...River's crying again. I especially feel bad for Flower tonight because she's being usually quiet. She's normally a chatter box at night. I think she's totally wiped out from not having a nap today. She was wired at the office. We love our naps around here and , yes, at almost 4, she still takes one. This time I offered to take River out for a bit so Flower could go to sleep but she said, "I will handle the crying because I want her in here." She is so sweet and she loves sharing her room. I assured her it would be ok if she changed her mind and to let me know. Re-insert binky and leave the room.
8:46...crying again. I go back in and Flower immediately says,"it's ok if she cries mom. I don't want her out there." She thought I would take her this time. This is unusual for River. Re-insert binky, flip her to her stomach, leave the room.

-Are you watching America's Next Top Model? I really like Celia's look. But Allison? Really? those eyes have given me nightmares.
-I'm also liking the drama of Celebrity Apprentice. Wow, Rodman is a hot mess isn't he? So sad.
-On the Amazing Race I'm liking the Mother/son team. I can do without the red heads and how they yell at all the foreigners. So not cool.

8:50...well shiz. Now Flower is yelling that she wants a vitamin(I knew her quietness was too good to be true) which made River start crying again. This is not going to end anytime soon. Not going in there.

8:55...Now that Flower is the one that made her cry she wants her out! Little snots. I'm ignoring them both. :)

Now that it's time...I really don't want to clean. Big surprise. And there's nothing good on tivo. And I want to make more cookies since I didn't love the other ones but don't have the right stuff. :( Oh my gosh it's been quiet for 3 minutes. Is there a chance? I'm going to go peak.

9:00...They are both out! It's a miracle. It only took 4o flippin' minutes geez. Hope it lasts at least a couple of hours. Time to clean...Oooh, One Tree Hill's on the other tivo. I'll transfer it to this one and that will give me the motivation I need. Progress report later. :)

9:58...I still haven't accomplished anything but it's been quiet for an hour! Woot!

10:22...living room clean...half of kitchen clean...load of laundry done...another load started. Not bad.

11:03...watching of One Tree Hill complete. I am all caught up reading my blog list and facebook. Now I'm actually going to bed. Thanks for playing and hope you have a swell night's sleep and a rad day tomorrow.

Peace out, yo.


1 comment:

KG said...

How can it be a surprise if I read your blog before I get home? =) I love you and appreciate all the hard work you do.

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out