Saturday, November 22, 2008

We finally brought her home.

Saturday was exhausting as well and I have a feeling that will be a theme in life from here on out. We have been so lucky with Flower, always sleeping 13 to 14 hours a day. I'm really in for it!
Anyway, Saturday was amazing and emotional and life changing.
Since Flower didn't wake up till 10:00, we finally made it to the hospital at 10:45 to Daddy and River. We spent time with Mandy(birth mother), Kathy(her mom and whom River got her dimples from :)!), Carrie(her sister), Debbie(her cousin), and Randy(her fiance). KG's dad had been working up the road from the hospital so he stopped by to see how things were going. That was a huge blessing. We really didn't know how long it would take and he completely entertained Flower. It was a huge help! As we were all in the room, Mandy finally got emotional. It was the first time we had seen. We all left the room to give her some time with River. We were all so happy to have her finally crying. She talked to River and cried for a good hour. Unfortunately, Carrie had to catch a plane back to Oregon so Debbie left at 11:30 to take her to the airport. We are so thrilled that Carrie came to town. We have so much in common with her and she was an enormous blessing to have around the past few days. She is really lovely and I'm looking foreword to meeting her husband and daughter someday. It was hard to see her go. Shortly after that three ladies from our agency showed up to start the paper work.
It was really happening!
When all paper work was done we went in to be with Mandy. I gave her a hug and the flood gates opened. It's a moment I will never forget. It touched me so deeply because Mandy and I are both fairly guarded with our emotions. We both sobbed out loud and held each other. She asked me to please be a good mother to her daughter. I thanked her for the amazing gift she is giving us. I whispered how brave, courageous, and selfless she is. I thanked her for the amazing sacrifice she is making for us. It was a moment I will forever be grateful for and I cry every time I think about it. She and KG hugged in a similar fashion and then she and Flower. And then we hugged again. I couldn't hug her enough. Words will never express the love and gratitude we have for Mandy. River will grow up being very proud of her. She will know how much she is loved by her. She will know her story. She is lovely. She is beautiful. She is thoughtful. She is smart. She is a CNA. She is everything that River will be proud of. We are blessed to have her in our life. She also had aunts, a grandma, and Randy that she will know and that love her dearly! We are grateful for all of them and that they supported Mandy with this decision and helped her through. Mandy and Kathy both sent us with several gifts for the girls and Carrie gave the girls two books that will mean so much to them in the future. My heart is so full.
Walking out of the building was a little surreal. As we were finally making our way to our cars I think I was in shock that it was really happening. The past few days have been so overwhelming that I couldn't believe we were all about to drive off together in the same car. I sent out a mass text with the joyous news and then just sat back and took it all in and enjoyed the ride. Oh, and hoped the massive headache I had would go away! :)
Since Aunt Amanda so willingly helped out with Flower from Tuesday to Thursday I wanted her to be the first one to see our little babe. We went to their house and picked up the extra car seat and sent Flower with Ken, or 'my buffalo grandpa' as Flower calls him, so we could visit with Ryan and Amanda for a bit.




After that we met up with Grandma, buffalo Grandpa and Flower at Texas Roadhouse for a much needed meal. We have been eating like crap since Wednesday and this hit the spot. We were finally home by 5:15 and KG and Flower went straight to bed. They slept for several hours! It was my turn to spend time and bond with Rivs. I took some photos in her coming home outfit. The tye-dyed onesie is the first thing we bought her as a family. We bought it on our Oregon vacation this summer right after we finished our end of the adoption process and were viewable by birthparents. I love it on her!








We were too dang tired to stop at the store so Sandee and her friend Jenn came over later with formula. They oo'd and aw'd at our precious girl.

I then wrapped her up like a burrito in Aunt Peggy's blanket and we cuddled for the night.

I want to thank everyone for the kind comments, emails, phone calls and texts. You mean so much to us. We love you.
KG, Ang, Flower and River :)

10 comments:

Steph said...

River is beautiful. I thought i commented before but it must not have posted. Congrats times a million. I am so happy for your beautiful family right now. LOVES

Heather BT said...

As the birth mother in an open adoption, it's good for me to hear about your side of the story. Thank you.
Heather BT

sara :) said...

Baby Burritos are the best! And I just love those cheeks. I was going to call you last night but figured you were all trying to catch up on sleep. :)

Congratulations to all of you!

Unknown said...

This grandma is terribly touched by your comments on the birth mom and my heart and prayers go out to her. I am so grateful she chose to give this baby life and love her enough to giver her up.

I loved the pictures, but the one with River and Ryan is priceless.

Jana said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!! So, I've been really busy lately and have neglected my most-loved blogging buddies. I was at Sweeney Todd (the Broadway play) last night and decided to check your blog on my blackberry during intermission, just to see what you've been up to. And lo, and behold ..... congratulations to you and your precious family. I'm so happy for you and for that sweet chubby-cheeked girl who has joined your family. LOVE her name, LOVE her hat, LOVE that Flower looks so thrilled to hold her in her arms. I can't imagine all the emotions but I'm sure that God is overseeing it all and that your family rests in His hands. Prayers and happiness to you!!

Colleen said...

she is gorgeous! congratulations! i love the name. i am so happy and excited for you. i would love to read the other blog that you made. coco26@comcast.net
wow i am just so excited. this is so awesome. she is adorable. hope you get some sleep soon.

Jordan and Chandra Smith said...

Angie, Congratulations!!! I can't imagine all the emotions you have been going through, what a tremendous blessing!!! River is beautiful. From the time you got approved to now, it all happened so quickly. Heavenly Father truly knows who belongs in our families. We are so happy, excited, and eveyr other joyous word I can think of for you!!!!

Adrienne said...

I found your blog! You have a beautiful daughter and I am so happy for your family. What an amazing experience. I am so thankful that you tracked me down and introduced yourself. It is nice to have a fellow friend in adoption.

Fowler family said...

What a beautiful post. Little River is so adorable, and you guys sound like wonderful parents. I am a friend of Amanda De Lange's and found your blog via her recent post. So glad Flower has a baby sister now. Your post/experience with this wonderful birth mom reminded me of a beautiful story a friend of mine (Joanne Green) wrote. It is called "To my child concerning your birth mother". Here is a link to it: http://members.shaw.ca/sagabooks/mychild.html

I think it sort of describes a lot of what you were feeling that day, and captures the love a birth mother has for her child during the adoption process.

ang :o) said...

I just want to take a minute and thank everyone for the sweet comments! I cannot believe I haven't done it before now!

Steph-you're so sweet. Thank you!

Heather-I had no idea you have placed a child for adoption. I would love to hear your story sometime. You are a rock star!

Sara-burritos are the best. We are finding they are the only thing that works sometimes!

Thank MOM!

Jana-I'm so glad you got caught up! :) It's been a fast ride. Just four months from being viewable by birthparents! Thanks for the kind words!

Colleen-Thank you! You are so sweet. I just sent you an invite to the other blog.

Chandra!!! Thanks! It did go by very fast and I agree 100%...these babies are ours just took a different vehicle getting to us. It's the only thing that can explain why some wait longer then others. Their children aren't ready yet.

Yay Adrienne! I'm so glad we connected too and cannot wait for you little one to arrive! :) Thanks so much for the food love! :)

Fowler Family-Thank you for taking the time to comment and introduce yourself. Amanda is great. Thank you so much for that link. What a neat story.

And thanks to everyone for the name love! :)

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out