Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hashi-What Now?

I have Hashimoto's Disease. What is this you ask? It's a thyroid thing. I was diagnosed 6 weeks ago. I had mixed reviews on this. Of course I'd rather have my body working properly. But I was somewhat relieved to have some explanation to my recent weight gain, bitchiness, muscles aches, depression, exhaustion and on and on and on! I'm told it's common, can be fixed with Synthroid and not to worry. Fantastic! Sign me up! I felt a difference immediately...but only for 3 weeks. Then I went back to feeling like crap and then even worse. So today I was not surprised by anything that was said at my follow-up appointment. My blood test showed it was worse. Based on what I had told her, this means that the antibodies attacking my thyroid are working twice as fast as we are. Soooo, she tripled my dosage and I go back in 6 weeks. Gosh, this is fun! :)
One thing I wasn't expecting...she is concerned about my lymphoids. I have this one under my right ear that had been giving me issues (swelling so it sticks out of my neck, rolling around, clay like, hurts like hell)the past couple weeks. I pointed this out to her and just asked if it was anything I needed to worry about. She said, "It's probably nothing to worry about BUT (don't you just LOVE when a doctor starts things out that way?)we need to keep and eye on that one and the one on the other side and the one in your armpit(wait. what? I wasn't having issues with those ones)and don't manipulate them at all and I will check them when you come back in 6 weeks. This can be a sign of Lymphoma but probably isn't. Don't worry about it." Oh, well goody! That's just what I needed, something else 'not to worry about'.
Other then that everything is peachy! :)

2 comments:

sara :) said...

I cannot believe how much stuff the thyroid can mess up.I hope your mutant knobs turn out to be ok!

:)

Gorge Us Family said...

That sucks! My sister has thyroid issues, it can really knock you out. Once your meds are worked out hopefully things will mellow out for you.

Jessica

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out