Thursday, January 31, 2008

Just Say NO to Turkey!

Today I worked in our church cannery. I have been working extra hard, night and weekends along with my normal daily hours, to try to fill up these stupid apartments! For whatever reason, they are just not renting. That is so unusual for this building and especially this time of year. So it was a nice break from the norm to go to the cannery and do some service. I was even more grateful that I went when I discovered I'd only had one phone call regarding the apartments while I was there! I have always liked to serve. We canned turkey. Let me just tell you that the next time I see turkey will be too soon! I will NEVER eat canned turkey for as long as I live! Thank goodness Thanksgiving is still 10 months away. Perhaps by then I'll stop throwing up in my mouth at the thought of nasty little turkey bits, parts, fat, blood and blah! It was just nauseating! We stood for 4 hours straight. Boy that does a number on your back and feet. And I was thrilled to see my too long pants soaked up the back with turkey juices! YUM! I will say though that I laughed and laughed as usual. Granted it was mostly at the expense of Kris but it was worth it! :) Like one time I 'accidentally' dropped turkey fat right on her shoe. We kept looking for beaks but didn't find any. I swear I saw a fat blob that resembled an eyeball though! There were two other ladies with us, Karen and Kay. All great women and they were fun to be with. There were also three men, Roger, Brent, and Steve, whom I threw a chunk of turkey at for getting the easiest damn job in the place! :)It was tough to stand there but it was worth it and I had a good time. I intend to go again. Not too sure I'll do meat but if the need is there I'll go! I have only been once before and that was years ago. After we were done, Kris and I admittedly 'snuck' out as the clean-up started and went shopping in the warehouse. When you work at the cannery you are able to buy anything they have available at the time as well as come back one more time. We came home with salsa(the best ever and the main reason I wanted to work there!), canned fruit, jams, and fruit sauce. It's a great way to stock up your food storage! Kris, I know it wasn't easy for you to go but I'm sooo glad you did! :O)
While I was stuffing turkey into cans, Flower was having a lovely time at Julie's house playing with Hannah and Andrew. KG picked her up and she had a great time! Thanks Julie!
And thanks Jer for being our chauffeur! ;)

1 comment:

sara :) said...

Blech. The last time I went to the cannery they were doing apricots. I was sticky for a week! At least all I had to look for was icky parts of fruit--not innards or eyeballs...

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out