Friday, May 16, 2008

Flashback Friday::Goroux's and Thueson's

The Goroux's
Skip and Phillis.
My cabbage patch doll's name was Phillis so I always thought that was so cool! :) They lived two houses down. They were an older couple and we all loved hanging out there. They let us get in their hot tub and hooked us up with popsicles. Every Christmas they had a HUGE holiday Bizzare. Phyllis and several other ladies made things all throughout the year and then sold them at Christmas. It took up every room in their home, except their bedroom, including the garage. I still have things I purchased there. I loved buying my mom's Christmas present their each year.
The Thueson'sTheir house was four houses down.
Greg, Sheri, Shayne, Nate, Colby.
Oh my. Where do I begin? This house kept me alive! Literally. Every time my dad and I would have a fight, which seemed like a lot, I'd finally scream my choice words at him and run out the door. I always ran to Sheri. They never came looking for me because they knew where I was. She got me through soooo much! Life is so hard when you're a teenager after all. ;) She is an amazing lady. There were also three pretty rad boys that lived there. And no, I didn't make out with them. That would have been weird based on my relationship with their mom! She was the person I always went to for everything. She helped me through so much! I could talk to her about anything. That extended way past high school. I told her about my knew relationship with KG. I cried to her when we were on a 'break'. I went back super excited that we were back together and engaged! She helped at my wedding and with the bridal shower. She went to the temple with us for our wedding as well as our sealing with Flower. She will always be an important part of my life!
At one point she was my Young Women's President. She is very delicate and dainty. The girliest girl I know. Her house was decorated as though a man had never stepped foot inside. Not my taste but I LOVED it because it was her. I love going to her house. Just walking in feels so warm. I used to love to sit at the counter and watch her do dishes or cook. She has such a gentle way about her.
I remember the first thing we did when we introduced ourselves to the boys was ask them if they wanted to jump on our trampoline! Shayne, a year younger then me, was part of the gang I was with all the time. He introduced me to the band 'A Tribe Called Quest' and our favorite song was Scenario. Good stuff. Shayne kept us laughing like nobodies business! He had an alter ego named Skippy. I tell ya, the day Shayne hit puberty was a sad day for us because Skippy died. I would kill to have him do that act again.
A not so good memory wrapped into some super fun times is when Greg and Sheri went on a cruise. I was 15 and my sister was 16. They had us stay with the boys knowing our parents were just down the street. It made it easy since we all just road to school together and stuff. We had so much fun! We even pierced Shayne's ear which he promptly took our the day before his parents came home. The rest of the gang basically hung out there the whole week with us. The not so good memory was a major tragedy that took place in my family during that week. I will forever associate the beginnings of my grieving with their house. I was so angry about what happened and punched a whole in Sheri's bathroom wall. They almost canceled their trip but instead sent Greg's parents over to take care of the boys. It was such an incredible thing on that scary, lonely night as I was crying and trying to make sense of things, that all my best guy buds wrapped their arms around me and we just sat on the floor and hugged while I cried. I will never forget Dan, Shayne, Denny, and both Nates for that.
Another memory of their house is during the summer, a bunch of us were swimming in our pool. We heard sirens and kept thinking they sounded closer and closer. Finally we decided to go take a look and that's when we saw it. Smoke coming from their house. We all ran down the road to see what happened. We sat in the street and watched it burn. It was so sad. Colby had been in his room with two other boys. They were playing with rubber cement. They had rolled it up into 100's of snot balls and flung them all over. Then one of the boys had the bright idea to see if it was really flammable like the bottle said. Because he had it on his hands, it caught his hand and shirt on fire and he threw it. All the little balls all over the room ignited in no time. Poor Colby sat holding his mom sobbing and repeating "I'm sorry, I'm sorry". The two other boys cried as well. Luckily they didn't lose everything. They did stay in an apartment for months while the whole top floor was gutted and redone. Wow was it an amazing transformation!
We used to play spin the bottle anytime we were swimming at my house and in the hot tub. Whenever Shayne and I landed on each other we'd just go behind the fence and giggle.
I loved hanging out with him and the laughs never ended!
We went through so much with them and they will always have a huge part of my heart.

2 comments:

A-me said...

I heart Shayne-dogg :)

Hokie Family said...

Wow! Memories. I actually saw the Thuesons in my ward visiting their Newphew a couple months ago. Sheri is so awesome. That was a great ode.

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out