Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My blankets+quilts :)

I love blankets and quilts. It seems I love them even more when they're torn into shreds. :) I have lots of them that have so much meaning to me and since eventually they will completely fall apart beyond use, I want to write about them so I'll never forget. The first three I'll write about are three we actually use on our bed everyday in place of a stiff comforter.

This one is 39 years old! My Aunt Peggy made it for my mom when she got married. It's a nice big king sized quilt. My mom was done with it years ago, right around when I moved out of the house 12 years ago in fact so I nabbed it up! I would rather have comfy, torn up quilts with sentimental value then new any day. My favorite thing about this one is the small squares. Definitely more time consuming to sew and I don't think my aunt made many more like this. Its lighter weight fabrics make it perfect for summer and feel cool against my skin.

This one is also king size but I also have a twin size one just like it. The square are more of the polyester variety, therefore perfect for winter. When I was 6 my Grandma Campbell and my Aunt Peggy made a joint effort in making each one of us kids a twin size one and my parents a king size. I now have them both. :) They are 26 years old.
This one is KG's. When we met he collected various smiley face items. Julie Luque made him this smiley quilt. It's the main quilt that he uses on his side of our bed.
This is the first one I made for myself. On a trip to Idaho Falls I picked out the fabric and yarn, my Aunt Peggy sewed it all together and then she, my uncle Bob, cousin Cheryl, KG and I tied it. It was so fun! I love the pink and red strawberries and it's quite possibly the girliest thing I own.
This is my most special blanket ever. My Grandma Campbell made it for me for Christmas when I was five. It hasn't left my side since. She made one for each of my siblings too. My older brother and sister got red and my younger brother got brown. I got blue because I loved Cookie Monster at the time. This blanket has been through a lot with me. Actually, when it was given to me, both sides were blue. The none furry side was completely shredded with no inside left so my Aunt Peggy kindly re-backed it for me 7 years ago. We couldn't find a blue that I liked so we went with yellow. She has since had to do another repair job on it because I spilled something on it on a trip to Idaho Falls and it ripped it. I seriously cried over it.(yes as a grown woman) :) I'm kind of attached. But she fixed it up good as new.
My mom crocheted this beauty for me and gave it to me for Christmas last year. She had made a few for my cousins as wedding gifts years ago and I really wanted one! She made one for our family reunion auction last summer so I kept bidding against my cousin. My mom finally told me to let David have it and she'd make me one. I LOVE it.My Aunt Peggy made this quilt for KG and I for our wedding gift. It's really beautiful. Our wedding colors were purple, yellow and green. This is the kind of quilt she usually does and is known for. There is so much detail. She is one talented lady! She fuels my blanket+quilt addiction. She is currently in the process of making River's quilt and making a quilt out of all my cool t-shirts from trips and concerts. :)
And of course this one that I found at my Grandpa and Grandma Madison's old cabin this summer. It will always remind of the memories there.
I got this blanket from my dad's furniture store. I had no idea at the time that the store wouldn't just be around forever. I am so glad I have this little bit of Madison's Furniture Store to cuddle up with and bring back so many fond memories of growing up there.
And last but not least the blanket burrito. We constantly have River swaddled and Flower asked us to do it to her tonight. We kindly obliged and when it wasn't tight enough I used a scarf. We each took turns holding her because she wanted to be held like we hold River. It was kind of nice.
I always seem to be cold so I am usually wrapped up in one or two blankets when I'm at home. It's not only the warmth they provide but that I feel like I'm wrapped in the love of those who made them. So, if you're ever dieing to get me a gift and can't figure out what it should be, A BLANKET!
Good night and sleep tight! :)

No comments:

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out