Friday, September 19, 2008

Moon Festival

Last night I was totally unmotivated to make dinner or have anything to do with the kitchen. So I wrote a blog instead and waited for KG to wake up. He hadn't fallen asleep till after noon therefore didn't get up till around 8:00.
Moon Festival is one of the Chinese Holidays we intend to celebrate with Flower each year. To read about it click here.
According to our calendar, Moon Festival was last Sunday but we already had other plans. I know several communities that are doing various celebrations this coming Saturday so I figured any time this week would be good. Since KG had last night off and my moon cakes arrived yesterday, what better night to do. It was spontaneous, just the way I like it.
We decided we wanted Mongolian BBQ and got there just 5 minutes before closing..8:55! Phew. We got our orders to go, complete with our favorite flavor of Sobe and headed to Veteran's Park.
We have made it our thing to eat under the moon light and talk about China and things to do with Flower's life to this point. Unfortunately, the moon was not cooperating. It was no where to be found.
That's ok. We ate under the florescent light of the canopy and still had good conversation.



It is customary to eat moon cakes. They typically come in the red bean or lotus variety.
We had one of each. They are gross. At least to us. But for some reason I was still compelled to get them again this year! Perhaps it's because they're so pretty? Because they are.
Then we pulled out the blanket and layed in the grass and gazed at the non moon sky.


They were getting so tired of my flash! :)


We were having lots of fun with the camera. Well I was anyway. Poor KG has eyes that are very sensitive to light. That camera flash is beyond bright! And it's goes off two or three times before finally taking the photo. We seriously have at least twenty of these shots because he could not keep his eyes open. But I was determined!
In order to try and keep his eyes open he'd end up with that super cheeseball grin. Neither of which would work for me. So we kept trying.
It's hard to see but he actually has tears in the these two photos!
We were laughing so hard Flower was doubled over. We finally called it quits. And I love the photos because they'll remind me more of how funny it was.
And just as we were leaving the moon made an appearance! :)
It was nice to be in the park after dark laughing and talking about China.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Angee,
Your moon festival night looked fun even if the moon didn't cooperate. What a great tradition for you to do with Flower.

Thanks for subscribing to my blog. So far you're my only official follower. Maybe I'll spotlight you next week or something.

Norma said...

My three are now solidly into early adolesense. They have no real interest in China and hate chinese school.........not keen on French either. Their home is their reality. The biggest gift I could have given them was the return trips to China. It certainly impacted Isabel and I hope the other 2 will be as affected. I also hope they will return together someday.

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out