Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Dentist and daily business.

We love our dentist and the hygienist Karen and the office manager Sandy. I have been going there since I was three. Sandy has been there the entire time. She is wonderful. And she collects pigs just like my sister Sandee. Her son married a gal from China and they live there now. They had their first child a year ago and Sandy was able to go to China and see her grandson. She loves to tell us about them and show us pictures of her grandson and tell us Chinese words she is learning. Her son, daughter-in-law and grandson just came into town from China on Sunday to visit and she is over the moon!
JT was the original dentist. He retired earlier this year. However, we started seeing his son Greg when we got married because he always worked at the times we could go in, usually in the morning. We like Greg.
We took Flower there a few weeks after we brought her home to have her teeth checked. They looked good so they said they wouldn't do her first cleaning or x-rays till she was three. They don't want them totally freaked out by the experience so even when we went in six months ago she sat in the chair and they looked at her mouth again. Well yesterday we all had appointments. I went first and as soon as Flower walked in and saw me in the chair she said, "I don't want to do that" and off she went. Great. This should be fun. When I was done I found out I need three fillings. Awesome. I have one filling that is cracked and needs to be redone. One cavity is forming around an existing filling and one is new. Suck.
We brought Flower in and prepared for the worst. Well she did amazing! And aside from Karen talking to her like a baby, she was wonderful with her. And I forgot my camera! For her first real dentist appointment! Arrgg. So you get nasty phone pictures instead but at least we have something. First she gave her a bag and let her go 'shopping'. She got to pick out a fancy toothbrush, she chose pink princess variety of course. She got to choose pretty pink floss and a toy that goes in the bathroom to hold their toothbrush. She chose a pink pig.

She was outfitted with the fancy blue bib.
Then she showed Flower how to use her new princess toothbrush.
She was diggin' the protective shades.

She took a look in her mouth and counted her teeth.

Because she was doing so well they suited her up in the x-ray armor and took her x-rays. They never expect much because kids are usually squirmy. Well Flower didn't move a muscle and Greg was shocked at how well they turned out. :)
And then the scraping began and she just layed there.

Finally she used the zippy tool to put the protective fluoride on the teeth.
She has shiny new pearly whites to show off.
Greg came in to have a look and affirmed there was no cavities! She got to have her photo taken and put up on the 'NO Cavities' wall, right next to her friend Madeline! She did so well they let her pick out two toys when she was done. She chose a toy phone that has a water game in it and a ring.
KG went next and he had one cavity I believe. Bring on the crappy dentist bills. Yuck.

Last night for FHE we broke out the stash of Halloween cartoons and KG made a yummy apple crisp with the apples that my visiting teacher Brenda brought over on Sunday.

Today I dropped Flower off at preschool and then met Kris at the cannery to grocery shop/replenish our food storage. They didn't have a few of the things I wanted but I walked away with a two year supply of peaches and pears, strawberry and marionberry jam and a few dry goods. We'll be going back in November for salsa and pear sauce for sure.

When I picked Flower up from preschool her teacher told me she had a rambunctious day. What a nice way to put that she was out of control. She just said today Flower had her wild high pitch happy scream a good portion of the time. Yikes. She was that way in Sacrament meeting Sunday too. Just really fidgety and sassy. I guess we need to figure out how to work on that.

Thank you for all the nice comments and emails with suggestions on how to deal with my psychotic self. :) I took grandma's advice and had KG give me a blessing. I know that will help. Rather then avoiding these feelings like I have the last couple of months I finally sat down last night and had a little counseling session with myself. I asked myself what feelings I was having and made myself answer where it was coming from and why. I have figured out what I'm struggling with most and two words come to mind. I'm too embarrassed to even admit that I'm feeling them because they are so foreign to me. I've never dealt with this. I think Colleen said it best that pride is at play. It's getting in the way here. I have a plan and only time will tell. But thank you for being so kind to reply.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

how come i don't get fun stuff from the dentist when i go. i hate going to the dentist. even if it was a sticker i think i would like it more. way to go flower for being so brave.

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out