Friday, August 15, 2008

Flashback Friday::Kimmi and Kristen

Kimmi Maas
The tragedy of her life is something I will never forget. When we were in the third grade, during Christmas break, her family went sledding somewhere in the hills. I believe it was by some family property. They went down a dirt road that was never traveled on. She was with her uncle and her brother Jimmi who was two years older then her. Just as they rounded a corner they came head on with a truck, which ran over them before they could even process what happened. Her brother's head was completely smashed and he died on impact. I don't recall what happened to the uncle. Kimmi's head was ran over as well but only half. She spent months at Elk's Rehab and we'd go visit and see her in a state that we wouldn't understand for a long time. She was basically a baby again, having to relearn everything. She was left mentally and physically impaired. I think as kids in the neighborhood we always took care of her at school. We'd never let anyone make fun of her! It was so hard to see someone in that state that just months prior was a vibrant young kid just like you. I believe she still lives at that house with her parents but she's been able to have jobs and so forth through different state assistants programs. I still see her on occasion and it always beings a smile to my face. She ALWAYS had a smile on her face! She always had jokes to tell. Usually the same ones but we always listened as though it was the first time hearing it. She is truly amazing.
Petersen's
Mel, Sandra, Doug, Curt, Brandon and Kristen.
Kristen moved into that house when we were in first grade. We are still friends to this day. She can make me laugh more than anyone else in my life. I'm not sure what it is but we are guaranteed to wet our pants every time we're together. Her three older brothers loved to tease us and make fun of us. Once Doug had kids, when I was a junior in high school, we'd bring them over to swim and play. I babysat her nieces and nephews for years when Jen and Doug would go on vacation. It wasn't really Kristen's thing. Plus her niece Paige is severely autistic and that was hard for her. I on the other hand adored Paige.
Back to Kristen.
When we were in third grade she moved to this house:I will have lots more to write about this house on another Friday. But they moved out because the Jensen's, who were previously my next door neighbors, bought it.
When we were in 5th grade she moved to this house.
When we were in 8th grade she moved to this house, which is right next door to the above one.

That house holds so many memories. Her parents both taught piano lessons. This house was set up perfectly for it. They had a cool set up. There was a gal, Joanna, that would teach theory when the students arrived, then they'd go with Sandra for the lessons and then in with Mel for more practicing. I loved sitting downstairs talking with all the students while they did theory. And we'd get in trouble because we were preventing them from doing their work. We would sit on the stoop in the front and talk about our high school boyfriends, Kelly and Bart. We would have sleep overs often and even sometimes on school nights. We were in the same class at school a few years. I destincly remember 4th and 5th grade, Mrs. Yerazable and Mrs. Hutchinson. So fun. New kids would always move in and then we'd have the triangle when they were better friends with one of us then the other but that would never last and we'd always have each other. She is really the only girl friend that I ever had, always preferring the company of boys just for that reason. Hated the girly crap. Her dad was diagnosed with cancer when we were juniors in high school. He died two days before our graduation. He was so ill and weak for two years and that was so hard on her. That made her turn to Kelly that much more and she somewhat disconnected from her family to avoid the hard times. The death was so hard on her and she and Kelly broke up right after graduation. Bart and I had also broken up a month earlier so we really leaned on each that summer. We swam every day starting at 10:00 until we couldn't take it anymore. We put a tv in my mom's Jeep Cherokee, parked in the garage, and slept in there more nights then I could count. So uncomfortable but so fun. I was the first person she told that she was getting married, and to a guy I couldn't stand. I wouldn't be in the wedding because I felt so strongly against him and thought he was replacing her dad. sure enough they divorced a short time later and I was right there for her and got her through that. I went to her to talk about KG and how much I looked forward to our future. And typically, even when life sucked, we laughed all the way through it. I really have never met ANYONE that has such an affect on me. Our relationship has always sort of cycled. We go a year where we are together EVERYDAY for every moment possible and then a year where we talk a couple of times. Not sure why but since we entered high school that's how it's been. We are kind of in that point right now. But we're always there for each other and when we get back together there is never a gap. I love her dearly and always will.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

do you remember when mel would do the christmas organ concerts at the stake center? such great memories for me and my family. such an awesome guy.

ang :o) said...

Wow, I forgot about that. Those were so neat! I struggled for a couple of years after he died every Christmas because it just didn't feel the same not having that to attend. Thanks for reminding me.

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out