Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Boxmaker's Son

This weekend has been calm. As soon as KG got off work on Saturday morning, he and Uncle Steven went to the house to fix the broken dead bolt for the Rummler's. When he got home Flower and I went to the church to a Stake Humanitarian Enrichment activity. We had good food and an excellent speaker. She was so funny and spoke with ease in front of a big group. She spoke as though she were sitting in a circle with a big group of girlfriends. I LOVED it.
We took naps when we got home.
That night we went to a surprise 50th birthday party for KG's Aunt Brenda.
We ate at Casa Mexico.
This is KG's uncle Steven. He just moved here from California. It will be nice to be able to spent more time with him.KG.Flower was eating the salsa by the spoon full! It was hot enough to make her eyes and nose run but she kept eating it.



Cousin Miriam.
Cousin Heather.
Cousin Liz. The three cousins are sisters as well as daughters of the birthday gal.
A close-up that I wasn't even aware of.
KG's parents.
KG's grandparents.
The whole gang.
Uncle Jose and Aunt Brenda, the birthday gal.
The we played Hubbub at the Grandparents. We had lots of laughs, as you can see by the first photo, most at the expense of Miriam.



After that we went grocery shopping to stock up on what we needed for our next two weeks of menus.
Today Flower and I watched several movies. First we watched Peter Pan since Grandma and Grandpa Madison gave it to her for her birthday. Then we put in some movies she's never seen before. First was Loin King 1 1/2. I was bummed that the sound didn't work so it was short lived. Then we watched Stuart Little. She loved it!
We took a nap together on the sofa. Or should I say I took a nap and she laid next to me. I love pretending to be asleep as she tickles my face, takes my glasses off and tries to put them back on and can't figure out why they're not going on. It's because they're stabbing the insides of my ears! She rubbed my arms and flipped my lower lip out several times because it made a cool noise. :) After an hour and a half of that I finally made her go lay on her bean bag. She still never fell asleep and hoped I couldn't hear her playing in her room. Of course I heard her but I pretended not to and read my book, The Boxmaker's Son. I even finished it!
I loved it! If anyone wants to read it just say the word!
I didn't realize until after I started reading it that the author is from Boise.
The book drew me in right away with the description of the dads morning routine, the house and neighborhood. The entire book was a walk down memory lane for me as it was for the author. I loved all his detail and that it kept sparking memories of my own. I now intend to go take photos of the neighborhood I grew up in. All the houses that have great meaning to me and and write about the lives that intertwined with mine, leaving an imprint on my heart. I am very excited about this!
After I was done I finally decided it was time for another movie. I went and got her and she was so cute as she was 'caught' in the act of playing and not sleeping! :) We watched Mary Poppins which she struggled to get interested in at first but as soon as the bedroom clean up scene came on and all the other singing parts she was glued!
We also made Mother Goose Popcorn, otherwise known as Pink Popcorn.
This will forever remind me of my Grandma Madison. Whenever I spent the night there she made this! I have never had anything like it. Everyone has their Caramel Corn recipes, mine is the best by the way, or should I say my mom's, I have a fan club. But I have never come across anything even similar to Mother Goose. I had my nieces wanting it every time they spent the night at our house. When we moved to the Idanha I couldn't find the recipe. I have it now! It's been over 3 years since I've made it. Flower is digging it as well.
Oh and you don't have to make it pink, that's just what we've always done because that's what Grandma did.
And now for my next read, Cold Train Coming by Larry Barkdull.
Tonight I tried a new recipe for dinner. We didn't care for it and won't be a repeat. As it was cooking I read the first chapter of the new book and I'm really going to like it. And to round out the evening we took a 2 hour walk. We starting along the ditch until we got to Borah High School. We also discovered a great park. We worked our way back through the neighborhood above us. We walked through a home being built and then made our way down the hill on Cole Road. We stopped at the school so Flower could play and we sat on the bench and had a great conversation.
What an awesome day. The first half spent in a blissful vegetative state with my side kick with good movies and a good book. Then a lovely evening stroll to get the blood flowing again with my two favorite people.
Hope yours was wonderful.

4 comments:

THE CROMAR FAMILY said...

We really did have the best neighborhood ever! That is a great idea to take pictures. Oh, and I'm definitely gonna read that book.
Krista

A-me said...

Love me some popcorn! I will be forever additcted to popcorn... I blame it on being raised in movie theatre's....

Can you share the recipies for the pink popcorn and the camel corn popcorn??? Pretty please with sugar and a big fat cherry on top?! :) :)

The Harwood Family said...

Angie,

It's Jessica Yeggy. I've been stalking your blog for a little bit and thought I'd say hi. I saw your comment on my sisters blog. Crazy to think you used to babysit us! Our blog is harwoodfam.blogspot.com. Your little girl sure is cute! She has a fun mom!

ang :o) said...

Krista--it was fun. and so many great people and the park?! I just want to write down some of my memories before I lose them! I'm also visual so I have to have photos!

A-me--I guess I'll share the recipes! :) Actually I'm happy to. I'll email you when i get home and actually have them in front of me.

Jessica--It's so good to her from you! Thanks for your sweet comment!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out