Saturday, April 19, 2008

Let me make one thing very clear....

...adoption WAS NOT a last resort for us! As a matter of fact, it was our first choice! I am so tired of people asking when we're going to have a child of our own or acting like the fact that we're not getting pregnant(when in fact we're preventing it) is such a sad, depressing thing. Even complete strangers! (And no I don't lump kids into this category! They don't understand and I realize that.)Flower IS our own child. I guess I don't view pregnancy in the same light as everyone else. As excited as some people are about being pregnant, I was that excited or more to adopt! I was never sad that I wasn't pregnant or grieving over some 'loss' or 'right of passage' into womanhood. PLEASE! I think it sucks that we raise our little girls to think that way. That the only way to have a baby is to get pregnant! Why don't we raise them that being pregnant and adopting are on equal ground. That adopting doesn't happen just because you can't get pregnant. That you can do both and have some kids that are adopted and some kids that were birthed. I think it would be so much less depressing for woman that 'can't' get pregnant to lean to adoption. It would just be a natural choice instead of being something that is done after years of sadness with infertility. I promise you the bond and excitement is exactly the same! It doesn't have to be second rate! I just don't get it!
Let me give you some history so everyone can be very clear as to where we stand.
When KG and I were dating, we had planned to wait 2 years to get pregnant and then we always thought we'd adopt as well as birthing children. We got pregnant just as planned, two days after our 2 year anniversary. I miscarried at 8 weeks. That was very hard for us because we were so excited to be having our child and all that goes along with that. I was at my highest weight at the time. I lost 19 pounds during that pregnancy and honestly, aside from the excitement of having a child, that was the worst two months! I hated being so sick! I had no desire to get pregnant anytime soon. It was not at all what I thought it would be and then I just kind of wondered what the big deal was! Six months later, in 2003, we thought again about getting pregnant and that didn't seem right so we talked about adoption. With all the paperwork etc., that seemed sooo overwhelming that we thought maybe that would never be for us. (For anyone that knows me, you know that I get VERY overwhelmed with anything big. Big stacks of paperwork, big messes, big tasks. I totally freeze up and don't know where to begin so I avoid!) With nothing feeling right to us we decided to get in gear, get healthy, and continue the weight loss and then look at expanding our family again in a year. I lost 60 pounds and then we tried for about 3 months to get pregnant. Then we started preventing it again. It just didn't seem like the right path. We tried again for another three months in there somewhere but it just wasn't feeling right. At times nothing felt right and we considered that maybe having kids wasn't for us. It was NEVER a sad or depressing thought and for most of that time it just wasn't even thought about. Then at the end of 2005 we were on a cruise and the topic came up. All of a sudden we both felt an overwhelming feeling that we were to adopt. When we got home we contacted an agency and were sent the exact same paperwork that we received in 2003. I was fully expecting to see the stack and give up again. That didn't happen. Actually I looked at it and wondered what the big deal was and we completed the entire stack in a weekend and were completely ready for adoption a month after meeting with our case worker. That was a huge sign that when it's right, IT'S RIGHT! Our case worker was so shocked at the rate we were going and how at ease we were with the whole process. I am not going to go into the entire process that was so incredibly spiritual and testimony building because it's long and most of you know it. (If you don't you can read about it here.) That being said, had we done this process at any other time, we would not have received Flower and she is so MEANT to be in our family. She just took a different path. A path that was never our second choice but in fact our FIRST choice. I never want her to think that we chose adoption just because we couldn't get pregnant and so, as a last resort, decided to 'get' her. That is terrible and nothing we ever felt. I feel horrible for people that go through terrible pains of infertility but that just wasn't the case for us. I have always felt a huge trust that my Heavenly Father would guide us in the area of expanding our family and so I've just never gotten emotional or heartbroken over it. If we never add another child to our family I am totally fine with that. At this point that is what feels right to us because the thought of anything else seems completely overwhelming. I know exactly when we'll add to our family and that is when I think about one of the processes without getting overwhelmed and then that's the route we'll take. The things we always think about are getting pregnant, international adoption and domestic adoption. It may very well be to birth a child. Who knows, maybe I really can't get pregnant on my own and if we felt that was what were were meant to do then we'd seek fertility. But we've never tried long to know that. And I really don't care. But out of those three, international adoption has been on the top of our list. I will let you know that in the last month, adding to our family has been more on my mind. The thoughts I am having are even surprising me and pleasant dreams have started occurring, just as they did with Flower. It's not really my choice and we'll be lead to where our child is.
Hopefully this will shed some light onto why I haven't just been a baby making machine and popping them out left and right. NOT because we can't but because it wasn't our first choice or where we were lead.
Please respect that.

9 comments:

Jen said...

I understand why you posted this because it would be annoying having people ask you about it all the time. I also respect your decisions. I think adoption is a wonderful thing and I completely support it. There are a few things that bothered me though...I know that you were asking for respect, but you said some things that I felt were very disrespectful. One thing was when you said, "I never want her to think that we chose adoption just because we couldn't get pregnant and so, as a last resort, decided to 'get' her. That is terrible..." No, I don't think that is terrible. There are a lot of people who choose adoption after infertility and I don't believe they love their adopted children any less than those who chose adoption for another reason. Another thing that bothered me was this statement, "...why I haven't just been a baby making machine and popping them out left and right." To me, having children is a very very sacred and god given blessing. It is a very important life decision that we made, I'm not just "popping them out left and right" as if it is no big deal. Yes adoption is good and good for you for choosing that for whatever reason you did, but please, please don't disrespect others for the decisions they make that are different than yours.

sara :) said...

Ok, just because I popped out babies left and right, you didn't have to get on my case! Geez, first KG calling me a lesbian and now you...

So freaking KIDDING!! I totally agree with everything you said. Heavenly Father has a plan for each and every one of us and I know that Miss Flower was always meant to be your child. And it is no one's business but you, KG and the Lord. He knows how your family is going to come together and he has his own plan how that is to come together.

Don't let anyone get on your case. You both are wonderful people. It doesn't matter what they think!

hugs :)

ang :o) said...

Ok, let me clarify some things. I'm really glad Jen pointed the things that she did because they may have come off wrong. I meant those two things specifically in my situation, in response to things that have been said to me. I didn't mean those comments to pertain to anyone else and their decisions. People have said negative things to me lately about my age, the length of my marriage and how it pertains to the church. That I should have more kids by now. I whole heartedly disagree and know statements like that are made out of ignorance and so yes, I got defensive. The thing about not wanting Flower to feel second. I met a gal last week who going through an adoption. She was so negative about it and only talked about how horrible life was because of infertility and how this was all they had left. I suggested to her that she look at it differently or that attitude would come off on their child. You could take the same situation and instead of thinking of it as a last resort think, "we had such a long hard battle with infertility and it just didn't work and now we are blessed to go the adoption route." Does that make sense?

ang :o) said...

LOL Sara. I was actually going to mention you in my response to Jen but decided it was long enough. But now I will. You are a perfect example of someone popping them out left and right and it was SO right for you! You would not be the same person without your little 'accident' Quinn. He made a visible change in you and how you viewed mother hood. You may not have wanted another child but Heavenly Father new what was better for you! So Ha Ha on you! :)

Heather BT said...

Ang,
I hope your feelings towards (perhaps) expanding lead you to peace. We thought that we were done with one, and now, we're paperchasing again. We believe we were lead to Acer first and now the one we're trying for. Stepping out and trusting and at peace; whichever way the path leads you I wish you peace. And the heck with those who don't understand that adoption is an Excellent Choice.
Heather BT
http://adoptakid.blogspot.com

Jen said...

Hope you didn't think I was rude. I think Flower has a great home with you and admire you for your choice to adopt. You know how it is on the computer, and not a live conversation, it is easy to misunderstand. Thanks for clarifying.

ang :o) said...

Oh no I didn't think it was rude. Besides everyone feels different. I've just had so many comments flying at me lately. I have so much respect for how others grow their family and all the different dynamics and it probably didn't come across that way. This is also my journal which I print off so I want things to be real and raw therefor I won't go back and edit. I want it to remain just how I felt in the moment I was typing it. I guess I just get sick of people automatically assuming that we couldn't get pregnant and had to adopt and so in a sense, they treat us with kid gloves feeling bad for us. I just don't want people to think we struggles for years and years and to feel bad for us. I do know people who are struggling right now with infertility and have adopted and have suffered so much loss and feel pain for them deeply. I just want to set people straight on our circumstance is all. And kind of tell certain people to back off on the fact that we're not having another yet. ;)

Gorge Us Family said...

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences, Angee. I love adoption and we are the type of people that don't care where our children "come from." It's the finding them that is the hard part. Making decisions to look into fertility have been hard in our lives, because we proufoundly know that our children don't have to be biologically ours to be ours. I love that you are able to be at peace and be led to your family. Your family is beautiful.

La belle mère said...

As a non-traditional mother myself, I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It can definitely be frustrating when people make insensitive remarks. I just try to remind myself that it's human nature to project our own beliefs and desires and priorities onto other people -- that doesn't make it right, of course, but it's a nearly universal failing. And I know that 95% of the time, the people making the ignorant comments really do mean well.

Anyway...I'm glad that both of us wound up with the families that we were meant to have, even though neither of us followed the traditional path to get there. :)

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out