Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Paranoia, Dreams/Nightmares/Night Terrors

I was watching a show the other night about dreams/nightmares/night terrors. I learned a lot like what the difference is between the three. Because of this new knowledge, I discovered that I have been having night terrors for the majority of my life. I always pictured night terrors as extreme kicking, screaming freaking out blah blah blah. Well, that's not so. I always knew what dreams were. What I was mistaken on was nightmares. For example, for the first three years of my marriage I thought I was having nightmares about spiders. I would 'wake up' up screaming or talking that they are coming at me and I would point at them and KG would have to talk me out of it. So this is what I learned....dreams and nightmares only happen in the REM state, when your body is paralyzed. The big difference between the two are that dreams are pleasant, nightmares aren't. If you 'wake up', hallucinate, talk, walk or scream out, this is a night terror. Night terrors happen in the deepest form of sleep. This is what I do regularly! I know spiders are coming out of the seams in the wall/ceiling and don't try to convince me otherwise! I sit up and spend my time convincing KG that they are there and get so pissed because he doesn't believe me. It's horrible when he isn't there because it goes on so much longer and are way more scary! I/we always thought I was awake during that time, just coming our of a dream that I thought I was still in. KG eventually convinces me that I am seeing things and then I get so mad at him because I'm embarrassed because I know he's right. We/I always thought that was the point in which I was waking up and that's why I became more rational. Not so. What is more likely is that I lifted back into REM which is why I so quickly fall back to sleep. If you fully and completely wake up, you won't so easily and quickly fall back to sleep. It's all so interesting to me. Thankfully the spider stuff has subsided for over a year. Actually, they diminished substantially after we moved out of our house in 2005, in large part because I didn't see spiders in my apartment at the Idanha. I think I saw maybe 5 spiders in the 3 years we lived there and guaranteed, if I saw a spider during the day, I had a night terror that night!
SO, what is ailing my nights now? Things that are worse. Here's my theory.
Since we've moved into the new place, I don't feel as safe. I know it's just the new sounds and that will just take a little time for them to become normal to where I don't even notice them. Right now, I 'know' that a man is coming into my bedroom at night and don't try and convince me otherwise. Actually it's not the man I see, it's the stick he's using to push the door open, but I know he's standing behind the stick. I 'wake up' to stare at the open doorway, waiting and wondering when he's finally going to come in, terrified of what he's going to do to me, and before it happens I fall back to sleep. These actually started last year in my old apartment, only we didn't have a door to our bedroom. Instead I always saw the man as he was attacking me with the stick. Perhaps this is why I'm just waiting for him to come into the room, because that's what he used to do. I also know that almost every night someone is opening the front door and I'm just sure Flower is going to be gone when I wake up in the morning. I can't seem to get myself to wake up to go make sure she's there. Thank the Lord she still saunters into our room each morning. This past week has actually gotten better and the noises are becoming more unnoticed. Thank heavens. I think that's why I haven't really freaked out about being here...I hoped/knew it would go away. In the meantime, KG has been nice enough to sit in the room with me on his nights off and just protect me. Evidently I tried to convince him of other things going on around me during those times. I don't usually remember stuff, other then the spiders or the man. KG tells me all about it in the morning. I wish I could be a witness to that. He makes me sound so amusing! :)

No comments:

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out