Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Ice Cream Man

Flower met her first ice cream man today. He came through the apartment complex just as we were getting out of the bus. And he was as creepy as ever! I didn't know they still existed! This guy looked like he'd had a few too many drinks and smelt like he'd smoked an entire carton of cigarettes moments before arriving. Mmmm, nothing like the smell of an ashtray to make you crave some ice cream! :) Seriously, as soon as I saw him and that van, I immediately thought Chester the Molester in his white van with no windows! Yikes. I kept trying to get him in the picture when I was taking Flower's and he'd slide back behind the cartons. Probably because he's wanted somewhere! I can't imagine my kids running out to that van unattended. Thankfully I was there and it was fun to let Flower pick out an ice cream. She chose a strawberry shortcake ice cream bar. She enjoyed it thoroughly. I must say, she was the only child there. Five or six other adults came running from their apartment. Apparently that music still has the same appeal to all generations!I will admit, it was a little nostalgic. I remember one came through my neighborhood growing up. The same family owned it for years. And when I was a teen and all the neighborhood hoodlums were swimming in our pool, we'd all jump out at the sound of the truck and go running with our dollar! My mom got smart at one point and created an 'ice cream truck' in our storage room since we always had so many kids over swimming. We'd buy them from her for cheaper and she still made a killing! :) Smart lady. (and so much less creepy!) :o)

2 comments:

La belle mère said...

LOL !!! Yes, I agree -- I've always found your mother to be substantially less creepy than your average ice cream truck driver. :D

sara :) said...

My kids always want to go running outside when the ice cream man comes through the neighborhood. Um, not going to happen!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out