Friday, June 13, 2008

Down for the Count.

Did ya miss me? Not having your daily dose of my ramblings must have made it difficult to get through your day! ;)
Illness is no fun. It has dominated my week! I woke up Monday with a sore throat, mostly on the left side. It was difficult to swallow but manageable. By the time I went to work at 10, it was worse and I was feverish. I then had to take Flower to her first day of swimming lessons at 11:00. (There will be a separate post on that...I'm trying to get caught up now) Sitting out in the heat probably wasn't the best idea. By the time we got home the sore throat was worse, my fever was 101.2, my skin, joints and muscles hurt, and I was so weak. I barely made it up the stairs. I still needed to go back to work. I decided to lay down and try to sleep for an hour to see if that would help. Not so much. We had to leave at 4 to get our fingerprints done for the adoption. We got all the way there and I realized I forgot my I.D. and the checkbook. Not surprising since I felt like crap and it was taking everything in me just to take a step! We had to go all the way home to get it. I just kept feeling worse and worse the longer we were there. Thankfully we got right in but there is lots of paper work. It was finally my turn for the actual fingerprints. They do each finger once by touching the screen, then each finger again by rolling it from one side to the other. As she was doing my right hand for the second time I started feeling really light headed and then things started going dark around me. I told KG I was going to pass out and he had to hold me up so she could finish the other hand. I don't even remember that hand. The lady kind of panicked and tried to hurry. I finally sat down and put my head between my knees and felt like I was going to barf! She did KG's as quickly as possible so we could go. I only made it about ten steps before I had to sit down in front of a trash can again. I was supposed to have two appointments after that at the other complex the company owns. I knew that wasn't happening. I went home and went right to bed while KG took Flower to gymnastics. My temp was now 102.3. I could only sleep for 15 minutes at a time and was in so much pain. I couldn't even swallow my spit, spitting it in a cup instead. Gross. I have never had a sore throat like this. I finally texted KG at 3:30 in the morning to tell him he should plan on taking Flower to swim lessons in the morning. He ended up coming home from work and stopped by the store to get me some medicine. The nyquil burned the shit out of my throat and I thought I was going to die. It did knock me out for 3 hours but I think it made my throat even worse the next day. By 2:00 pm, having had nothing to eat or drink since Monday morning and having trouble breathing, I decided to head to the doctor. He put me on oxygen right away because my oxygen levels were so low. My heart rate was super fast. They could not believe how swollen my throat was, inside and outside, and that's why I couldn't breath very well. It really felt like I had a spiky golf ball lodged in there. My voice also sounded funky. I was annoyed to find out that it wasn't bacterial(which they can medicate) but rather a severe viral infection. Nothing they can do. Nice. They did give me vicodin to help with the pain and knock me out. It didn't take the pain away but it helped. It didn't help me sleep. I could at least swallow, even though it was painful. And my fever, which pretty much hovered at 101.7, did start to come down. Then it went back up and I had a whole new set of symptoms that night. Throughout the night I was coughing up dark yellow/brown crap. I know. Too much information. Get over it. I was also having severe abdominal pains that doubled me over.
Wednesday morning we called the doc. Those two things coupled with the previous ailments pointed straight to Mono. Fantastic. If that was the diagnosis, all these symptoms I was having could last 2 to 3 weeks! I went in right away. They did chest x-rays and blood work. Thank heavens it's not mono. I had bronchitis with the onset of pneumonia. As much as that sucks, it was good news compared to mono. AND they can treat it since it's bacterial. Hallelujah! They gave me antibiotics that I take for 2 weeks and some symptoms could last seven days. I'll take it. I was instructed to do nothing but lay in bed for two days and call them Friday afternoon to say if I was better or worse. If it was worse, the pneumonia worsened and I had have to be hospitalized. You can bet I didn't get out of bed.
Thursday was slight improvement. My temperature didn't go above 100.4 unless I got up or sat up. I couldn't sit up for longer then a half hour without feeling totally light headed. The stomach pains were still sucking but I was able to push past the throat pain to finally drink water which I was so grateful for because I was getting serious cotton mouth and feeling dehydrated. I was also finally able to eat dinner.
Now we're at Friday and I finally feel like I can try to catch up with blogs. I still feel weak so KG hooked me up with the laptop in bed. It's already getting my heart rate up though so I don't know how long it will last. And I'm paying the consequence of eating last night with major cramps! I just feel soooo wiped out! My temp is hovering at 99.8. Progress. I am forgoing all plans for the weekend which included two baby showers, a girls night out, a baptism, a luncheon, church and two father's day gatherings. (Father's Day is still in the air since they are not till the very end of the weekend) Just thinking about all those things is making me exhausted. I just want to be in full force next week.
So this week consisted of a lot of tears, laying in bed, feeling guilty that I couldn't work because we were already down one because she was out of town, feeling bad that I couldn't take care of a friend that needed me, feeling bad that KG took the week off and was using his time off but grateful he was willing and able to take care of Flower because I just couldn't do it, and pretty much just felt useless.
Hopefully have a stagnant weekend, I'll be good as new on Monday.
Now on to catching up on my blogs.

2 comments:

Holwege Family said...

sorry to hear your sick. Hope you get feeling better soon.

sara :) said...

Ick! I really hope you get back on your feet soon!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out