Sunday, June 1, 2008

Candyland

This has always been one of my favorite games! We pulled it out today to play with Flower. She loved it and kicked our hineys! I am trying to quit the sugar habit. I have made it 6 days without a lick of sugar. Zero zip zilch! This may sound stupid to most but this is a HUGE accomplishment for me! So what do I do? I play candy land. As if I wasn't having enough trouble with cravings before, now they're going full speed. Real smart. The first three days I had a migraine. I deliberately wouldn't take anything for it because I wanted to feel the pain of what that crap was doing to my body. If you get a withdrawal headache, you are FAR to dependent. I don't think there's ever been a day that I haven't had some sort of sugar whether it's on my cereal, candy and ice cream(both of which are my BIGGEST weaknesses), desserts after dinner. It's a tough struggle because it's associated with everything! I use it emotionally, when I'm depressed or happy. Birthdays, holidays (Oh how I love me some holiday candy. Easter is the bomb!), going to the movies, going on vacation. I can't think of a single thing that doesn't involve sugar laden crap as part of the tradition. I know my addiction to sugar causes me other issues with food. I'd like to say this will be a new lifestyle and a forever thing because I know as soon as I take the first bite of something sweet, it will be like taking a drink of alcohol for an alcoholic. I don't know how many times I have tired to do this in the past, making it mere hours. This is HUGE for me and I am so proud of myself. I have come a long way with several things as of late that make me so proud of myself. I am thankful for my super good friend Kris whose been there for me through it all and always willing to listen as well as KG who is the most supportive man alive! It's nice to be around people who bring out the best in you and love you even when you're not your best. Since we'll always be a work in progress it's important to surround yourself with those kind of people!
I think this is a lovely start to June and the summer!

8 comments:

Amanda said...

good luck with the no sugar. That would be hard for me. I could probably eliminate candy, but not sugar completely. I admire you for doing this.

La belle mère said...

Holy cow, that is impressive. I had a colleague once who had tried to quit both smoking and sugar -- she said the sugar was way harder. I'm like Amanda, I could probably handle candy but ALL sugar? Wow.

ang :o) said...

candy and ice cream are the WORST for me. Just Saturday I was at Walmart and the first thing I saw was my gian bag of peppermint salt water taffy. It's the only flavor I love and the only time I can find a bag by itself is for 4th of July. Every holiday has some sort of yummy candy that i love! :( My doctor told me he puts quitting sugar and the addiction of it up there with heroin. obviously it's way more easily accessible and it wreaks havoc on the body (if not eaten in moderation). I'm starting to feel a difference.

Jana said...

I'm so proud of you. I THINK about trying to cut out all sugar and it makes me sad. I know it wreaks havoc on my body, but I LOVE ice cream and cookies and I have the hips to prove it ... unfortunately.

Lynnette said...

CANDYLAND IS MY FAVORITE GAME! I would love to play it with you guys some time. We could just do an afternoon in the clubhouse when it warms up and maybe go for a dip!

The sugar is evil. You are one step ahead of me. I have been thinking about it for months, you took the dive and moved it out. That is great! Keep it up!

John and Danielle said...

You are stronger than I! I could never do it! I eat dessert after almost every meal; breakfast lunch and dinner!!

ang :o) said...

dani you are tiny and I am not so it's necessary! :) i NEVER thought I could do it.

lynnette-game on!

ang :o) said...

jana-i think the only thing that keeping me from being depressed about everything i'm missing out on is how good i feel that i'm accomplish what i thought would be he impossible. eventually i'll get over that and then i'll be sad. :)

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out