Sunday, June 8, 2008

First Camping trip of 2008

We went to the cabin this weekend. We had a great time and there were lots of kids to the adult ratio. Friday night Lisa with Savannah, Cameron, Josh, Isaac, Topher, and Tristan in tow, and Amanda with Daniel, Hannah and Collin in tow, met at my place. Flower and I hopped in with Amanda and away we went! Lisa and I, having been there a bazillion times, should have found the way just fine but we made one wrong turn taking us 20 minutes out of the way, but we soon figured it out and made it to the property. KG's parents and Uncle Steven were already there. They had a fire built for us and helped us set up camp. I was so happy that Amanda was able to go with her kids. She has to ship them to their dad, in Texas, this week for the first time. She really wanted a fun weekend with them before they left and it needed to be cheap. I think we accomplished that. I also think she had a lot of fun. She needed some happiness in her life and each time I happen to capture her on film she had a smile on her face. Lisa had two of her sister's kids with her. They are also being shipped to their father in Texas this week for the first time. Sounds like Texas is the land of the scum bags. I just hope these ladies survive the weeks without their kids and their friends rally around them. I CANNOT imagine what they are feeling. Anyway, the weekend was fun and filled with lots of activities. I just wish it wasn't so blasted cold. The nights were just too much. Of course it seems the kids don't mind but the three ladies that NEED sleep, didn't get it because we froze all night! It didn't even warm up much Saturday. It was just cloudy and gloomy and I think that made us all a little melancholy. Normally the kids are roaming free and exploring but this time everyone huddled around the fire pit. Don't get me wrong, fun was had, but it was cold. KG showed up with the bus on Saturday morning and boy was I glad to see him! At least he'd be able to warm my feet against him! :) I was just as cold that night though. That afternoon we appreciated and enjoyed a nice meal before mom, dad and Steven went home.
Sunday was perfect! Of course it was since we were leaving. The kids finally scattered out and enjoyed the mountains instead of hovering over us. They also got in the water and there was much more laughter.
Unfortunately we did have to clean up eventually and this is my least favorite part. I tend to get a bit bitchy. I am a lazy camper when it comes to having to pack it all back up. I take a minimal amount of stuff out so I have a minimal amount of stuff to put in. I HATE washing out dishes and all kinds of crap on the last day (or anytime really) when I'm already tired and worn out. I am good with eating hot dogs the entire time or stew out of a can if it means I don't have to do dishes. KG got stuck cleaning dutch ovens but we managed to get the place looking good.
I took a TON of photos as usual and like to put them all on my blog because if something happens to my computer, as did recently, it doesn't matter because they're all backed up. They're also my memories and I want them in my book! Soooo, I'll divide the photos into a couple of posts by activities.
Arrival night.
Topher.
He really is one of the cutest kids I have ever seen. (dare I say even cuter then all my nieces and nephews, definitely) There is just something about his face. It's proportions are so perfect. He has perfect hair. I really have to stop myself from constantly photographing him. He is definitely my favorite child to take photos of. Flower comes in a close second! ;)
All the kids cling to Grandpa.



The camp fire is always fascinating.
The three stooges. It's so fun to watch three kids of this age pal around together!



No comments:

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out