Sunday, July 6, 2008

Portland::day two

In search of breakfast, we found ourselves at Pig 'n Pancake. It was de-lish! Flower and I shared strawberry crepes and scrambled eggs with cheese. KG ordered biscuits and gravy, eggs and hash browns. The waitress was an older gal and so sweet. At the check out counter Flower picked out some Lifesavers. I remember being on vacation and my dad would always get some mints for the day so he'd let us pick either gum or lifesavers. These are the kind of memories that I cherish.

After breakfast, we went to the Fabric Depot. This store is the reason we were on that side of town that took us to the above restaurant. It is THE biggest fabric store I've ever been in. At first I was a bit disappointed. It just seemed like an over sized JoAnn's. I did find one black and white number that I really liked so I was going to be content with that. And then I saw it. On the other side of the store, a monstrous section of all the designer fabrics I LOVE! That quickly took me to the $100 I set for myself. I limited it to my four favorites and then got the amount of yards I'd need. I usually order all my fabrics online so it's not that I don't have access to them. There's just something different about being surrounded by all of them at the same time and touching them. The two on the right in the photo are two that I've had my eye on for months! I love the entire line.
We came back to the hotel for naps shortly after shopping.
I forgot to post this great little sticker I found at the book store.
I concur.
These are some of the other stickers that adorn Crush.
I'm not one for stickers and window decals on traditional vehicles but a Volkswagen bus screams for them and are the perfect decoration for the inside. We pick one up in each city that we've taken Crush too as well as bands we love. Oppenheimer is an amazing band we discovered from Ireland! You really should get your hands on their album!

I also wanted to show this cute bed KG fashioned out of the chase chair for Flower. We can now have our bed all to ourselves. :)
*Note the socks on Flower's hands. We get her arms looking good, , damaged from the Eczema, and then she scratches them at night, possibly in her sleep, so this is what we've resorted to.

This afternoon we went on a two and half hour walking tour of the The Portland Underground. It was interesting and we learned a lot. It was a bit different then I expected. Just not quite as exciting. I'm glad we did it though. To read more about it click here.
One of the places we went on the tour is Voodoo Doughnut. It just happen to be on our list from BR. We planned to go there for breakfast tomorrow but since we were right there, we went back after the tour. It serves as a doughnut shop and a wedding chapel. Yes. You read that right. Couples madly in love stand under the disgusting doughnut and take their vows. Not my thing but whatever floats your boat right? They also have live bands there one night a week. You have to understand this place is only about 50 square feet, not exaggerating. The band climbs up a ladder to perform in that hole behind the curtains!
Yikes.
It was definitely an interesting place and we liked our donuts. Here is a a small sampling of what they offered. There was some strange concoctions! Big surprise.
Some of the art was cool!
I bought KG one of their t-shirts. We then took time to enjoy the Chinese Gardens. It was very pretty but I guess once you've been to China, gardens in Portland just don't compare. It really wasn't worth $17 and we finished in about a half hour. We got some cute photos though so that counts for something right?
For dinner we went to Doug Fir, another BR. This has been my favorite so far. So much so that we are considering fitting it in a time or two more before we leave for the coast. Soooo good. Flower and I shared meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Aside from mine, it's the best I've had. KG had a wonderful chicken dish with mashed potatoes. We can safely say that this is a gay hang out in Portland. We can be sure that for most of the time, we were the only ones there that weren't gay, including the staff and customers. It just made it more fun. Our waiter was great and gave us some ideas of things to do in Portland. The decore was great. The beams were made of recycled telephone poles which we thought was pretty awesome!Flower decided she needed to run off her food!We ended our day's adventures at Ikea. We went in search of the wire/clip doodad's for the curtains in the bus. We were successful. Being there reminded me of our October trip. We went to the Ikea in Arizona. We were in the isle and some lady was looking at Flower. This is a constant occurrence. She must have had enough for the day as she turns to the lady and with quite an attitude says, "What are you lookin' at?" :-D
And with that, Goodnight.

1 comment:

A-me said...

aww I didn't know that flower had Eczema. Izzard has had it since she was a little babe and Eman started getting it a few months back. I have to do the sock thing with Izzard from time to time. Looks weird, but it works! I found some amazing lotions and skin products that work really really well on it.

Spokompton has a Japanese Garden that is FREE :) Definitely doesn't look as big as the Chinese Garden you guys paid to go through, but I enjoy walking through ours from time to time. Spokopmton has so many amazing parks... one of my favorite things about this place.

How long are you staying in Portland?

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out