Saturday, July 12, 2008

Reedsport and Winchester Bay::day seven

This morning I was up early trying to finish my blogs since blogger was being a punk last night. Our last few camping spots didn't have wireless so I was trying to catch up. It would not upload photos after I did the first blog last night. I finished just in time this morning for check-out at 11! Whew. In my hast to get them finished I forgot to comment on some of the photos so I may have to re-post some photos to explain them, we'll see.
I took a short break with Flower to walk to the office for the free breakfast which sucked but was just to tide us over till we left. We then stopped for lunch at Dixie's Cafe. It was some good eats. We were soon on the road and this is the first time in the trip that we back-tracked. We went back to Veneta which took forever due to the crowds going to the hippie fest. We also went past Florence before arriving in Reedsport. This is a super cute town. We went to the skate park which is the biggest in Oregon. I had been looking forward to this! It boasts 12,000 square feet of skateable surface and the only 360-degree "loopable" concrete full-pipe in the United States. We had a good time watching the kids there and making them do tricks for us. Unfortunately, none of them could do the full-pipe. I was so amazed at how many parents were dropping their kids off and how many would stay to watch younger kids play on the adjoining playground while the older kids would skate. This was a really fun and well used park!

















Of course Flower went straight for the toys. She watched the skaters for a few minutes and was amused but it didn't keep her attention for long.











After that we drove to Winchester Bay. We stopped at a scenic overlook.



And then went to see a light house.

Unfortunately the tours ended at 4 and we got there at 4:15. :( We walked around for a bit, checked out the view and read about whales.
Right near there was a neat little beach area. We put Flower in her swim trunks, bucket in tow and she finally got in the water and played in the sand, even if only for a short time, she had fun.

It was a really pretty area even it wasn't the ocean!




Eventually the sun went down and it was too stinkin' cold to be out there! I have been so bummed by how cold it is. It's been in the 60's, max, on the coast. There has been no shorts for me or swimming suits and no playing on the beach for any of us. I cannot believe I left warm Boise to hang out in the cold! I was more then thrilled when we pulled into the hippie fest to 89 degrees. It totally made my day!
We found a great little restaurant to eat dinner called Harbor Grill. They had THE BEST sea food chowder we have EVER eaten. Seriously. Moe's doesn't hold a candle to this stuff. We even bought a quart to go. Wow, if I could send you some I would! The amazing thing is it's dairy and wheat free but it's still so creamy and thick! You'll just have to take my word for it! KG really enjoyed his steak and Flower and I shared Salmon Fettunici Alfredo that was superb! As you can see, she loved the cream sauce!We were the only ones in the restaurant until close to the end of our meal. It was nice because we got lots of attention but it also felt like all eyes were on us, especially since everyone loves to stare at and watch Flower's every move! Good thing we liked the food so we didn't have to make any yucky faces. :)
By then we were so full and ready to chill. We checked into our camp site.
Regarless of this cute little beaver welcoming us, we are less than thrilled with this place. It's not pretty by any means but it's a place to sleep so that's ok.

It also redeemed itself by having free wireless internet! :)
I do think this camping mobile/house is pretty sweet! The owner of this green monster lives here.
KG bought a box of cliche magnets from the fun toy store I spoke of yesterday. There are 240 separate word magnets. He is now making all kinds of sentences on the bus. :)

Flower is taking care of her daddy by rubbing aloe vera on his sunburned arm.
I taught Flower the song Skidamarink (if that's what it's called and that's how you spell it) yesterday. She is now in love with it and wants to sing it every second! We are now singing that as we go to sleep.
Until next time, here are the words so you can sing along.
Skidamarinkeedinkeedink, skidamarinkeedoo, I love you.
Skidamarinkeedinkeedink, skidamarinkeedoo, I love you.
I love you in the morning and in the afternoon,
I love you in the evening and underneath the moon.
Skidamarinkeedinkeedink, skidamarinkeedoo, I.love.you.

1 comment:

Audie said...

Loved the hippie fest! Lots of great pictures. Jared really liked the nudie ones. Jovie missed Flower today at church. It was sad. So tell Flower HI for Jovie. Can't wait for your next post!

Let's kick it.

can you dig it?

My photo
i love life. i love my family. i love adventures.

past ramblings

peace out